Emilie Bier Do it Your Self

How to make cool light fixtures on a Budget

You want to be a shining accent to your decor, but you want to keep costs to a minimum? David is doing it with household materials from the hardware store!

Desperate for a cool and functional lighting option for your space? Man Podger David has a new tutorial for you – a luminary on a budget: with hardware store goodies! Most of them don’t know but I’m really in the mood lighting.
Not a big fan of bright light. I’m right out of the Twilight series, and I think it’s because I grew up in Seattle. The special feature of these lights is that they are for vampires and non-vampires alike.
I need to about a hundred, because my friends would love them for gifts. Here’s the tutorial straight from David.

I is a kind of decorative luminaire for one piece wanted, but I needed it to be, very affordable, and customizable.
the DIY course (it's what I do) Hiking, I found the section, some thin steel plates in the building.
be used for the connection of beams and things, but they are affordable ($.88!) and come in a variety of sizes – and they have holes in them.
Perfect!, the lights
need For this project, you will:

4-panel size of your choice
4 square dowels included-cut to length
1 piece of wood for the foot
Gorilla glue
Mod hodgepodge Matt and brush

And several optional elements:

terminals (optional)
drill (optional)
Tiny little screws (optional)

step One – the Cutting of the base

overlap, I cut my base so that the steel plates may, at the corners, as in this diagram.
In my case, my plates are 3 1/8" wide, so my base is 3 1/8" x 3 1/16" - was a place.
step Two – Cut the dowel

I needed the pins rest on the base, but not glue them at the top. So I measured the height of the steel plate (7"), and then the depth of the base (1/2 subtracted") and left me with 6 ½ " inches. I then shaved off another ¼ "inch – so that each dowel 6 ¼" long.
step Three – fixing the anchor

With the Gorilla glue, I attached the anchors of two of the plates. I used the base as a guide, to ensure that they were at the correct height.
TIP: The glue against the metal is slippery at first – I found that if I let it sit for a few minutes to sticky, I could ensure that it is in the right place and then the pile of weight on top to ensure a good adhesion without slipping.
I repeated the process with the other plate and the remaining two dowels, so I ended up with these four pieces:
Step Four – Mount the pages

I then glued the sides with the dowels at the base (this is where a clamp which comes in handy).
With the light still rest on its side, I put one of the plates down on the top and marked the spots where the holes align with the anchors.
After that, I drilled holes to prevent the wood from splitting.
I then glued the plate into the dowel and the base, and, with my tiny little screws, the plate in the dowel. (Take out the screws serve only to hold the plate in place while the glue dries).
Then I flipped through it and did the same on the other side, my clamps, and viola:
I made a grater a cheese! . . . now, this is what it looked like for me. I set them aside to dry.
step Five – Mod hodgepodge way
When the glue was dry, I removed the screws and attached my pictures to the pages with Mod-hodgepodge. I let it dry and then a sealer layer of Mod smorgasbord for good measure. After the sealer coat dried I excess cut off (I always cut my paper a little bigger than I need, just to be sure).
step Six – push

Here is where I got the high tech. I took a toothpick and poked through the paper into the holes of the steel plates. I just stuck it in and wiggled a little in order to open up as much as possible.

step Seven – Finished!

I have my battery operated tea lights (I would advise against, with the candle, the heat generated, and the metal-pages, seems like a bad combination).
And then I have another one, because it was so simple:
I had a little trouble getting a good "night" shot, so I apologize for the quality of this photo, but it gives you a sense of what you see with blazing candles!
I really like how this came out and I spent a total of about $7.00 (the candles are from the dollar store).
Additional thoughts:
All my projects a voyage of discovery are. After I'm done, I always think of ways I could do better.

In this case, I realized that I have used could be the screw trick from step Four step Three –
The mounting of the dowel. Only the glue, lay the metal down and screw it in place until it dries. Much easier toAlso, I noticed that I have painted, the inside (between step 3 and 4), as it was not too attractive, when all is said and done. Since it was too late to color I cut instead, you make a square out of Plexiglas the same size as my base, hand-sanded, one side opaque and left it in the top of the lamp. It looks good and gives it a nice, finished look.

I like this project because the possibilities are endless. As I have already mentioned, the sheetscome in all kinds of sizes.br>you can use images, like I did, or left over pieces of scrapbook paper or newspaper or book pages or music. You can make every page different, like I did, or you canIf you have a drill, you can create drill even more holes through the sides to let in more light.
I hope you liked it and that it sparks your creative fire. Feel free to ask as always, any questions – I will monitor the comments.

Fabulous DIY party favors in Four Simple steps
How to make a Banner: 20 Genius ideas!
Patchwork DIY Folding Screen