DIY Lazy Susan from a planter saucer
This DIY lazy susan is so cool – it was from a planter saucer! You have to collect some vintage images for this fun craft.
So, you know me, always wandering around Home Depot looking for things to make into other things. Spring is coming, along with outdoor parties and when I saw that some of the large, metal planter saucers (you know, the kind that you hmmmmmm to catch it under a pot of water and protect the floor) for sale, I thought:“. . . the lazy susan?" As it turned out, simple and pretty funny!
DIY Lazy Susan
Mod hodgepodge gloss
Envirotex Lite (all waterproof and stuff)
plastic straw (not pictured)
the Lazy Susan mechanism (also from the hardware store)
sandpaper (not pictured)
glue – I used E-6000
spray paint (optional)
masking tape (optional)
My subject was white, and I wanted to keep it so, but thought about a nice green strip would be funny, so I sanded the edge of the shell, cleaned with adhesive tape from the strip (and everywhere else unwanted color get
could) and gave it a few coats of spray paint. I then removed the tape before the spray paint has dried.
My compartment was Large (16" wide) so you make a template for the inside, I traced the edges of the tray on two large sheets of paper, you could use newspaper) and then with tape.
next, I mounted the record player with the E-6000. Glue according to the instructions on the packaging and set it aside to dry. While that was drying, I gathered my pictures.
I used graphics that I had on hand, but you could easily test scrapbook paper or wrapping paper to use, or what you liked – only to ensure that it delivers what the Mod smorgasbord.
I put the design in MS Word, but I didn't want to have to cut and paste each image so I printed it out in sections 11×14" legal paper, and then cut out each section.
Once they were all cut out I put them back together, put my template on top and traced the outline of the circle. Then I cut accordingly. I did a "dry fit" to ensure everything was good and made a few minor adjustments.
After that to put it simply, Mod-hodgepodge of the levels. After the layers dried, I sealed them with another coat of Mod-hodgepodge (this step is the key – make sure that you drop the whole thing, as the Envirotex will discolor the paper comes in contact with), and set it to dry overnight.
The next day, I poured the Envirotex – exactly according to the instructions on the packaging. I have Envirotex much, and if you do exactly what you say, it comes out great, and when you improvise . . .well, not so much.
TIP: you need to blow on the filled resin bubbles to pop all the air, and I've discovered that if you work with a blow by plastic straw, it is wonderful! After the award of the specialist a lot of curing (72 hours), we go up to the very end.
And there you go. A fun, festive, custom, BIG-DIY-lazy susan!
you can Visit David at Cheltenham Road for more fun ideas and inspiration.